Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Alone


A few months ago, I took these pictures in our church parking lot. Since then I have pondered what object lesson could this be. (I was sure there had to be one) 😊


 This flower is by itself in the edge of the parking lot. Not part of the flower bed beside it. Yet, it has been able to flourish and grow even though it is alone. But is it alone? Is it uncared for? This flower has the same benefit of the sun and rain as the other flowers. It doesn’t have dirt in the parking lot but it’s roots have traveled to the dirt where the other flowers share it. The gardeners chose to let this one flower grow outside of the box and become a beautiful flower. So even though it looks as though it is surviving and growing by itself, it really isn’t.

I sometimes feel alone and outside of the crowd. But I am not alone and I am cared for. We all have access to the same loving God who provides for us in so many ways. As I travel this new journey of retirement as a widow, I am often alone but I know and have seen many times how God has provided for me. The unexpected text or phone call from a friend; the beauty of a deer when out walking; the joy of worshiping God in my walks; the tangible ways when finances have been provided for; the sharing/learning from others at small group on Wed night at church; the circumstances others might call coincidence but I know are ‘God things’ are all examples of God’s care.

So, if you feel alone, remember this flower growing in the church parking lot.

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23:1

G

No comments:

Post a Comment