Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Retirement - Missions

What do you think of when you hear ‘missions trip’? Is it about going to some ‘romantic – exotic’ location to do some physical labor or teaching ‘the gospel’ to some third world underprivileged people? Well that is one aspect. But I think the true meaning of a ‘mission trip’ is a lot less ‘romantic -exotic’. It starts with where you are at and what your capabilities are. It is about listening to what God is asking you to do when you have an intimate relationship with Him. So, a ‘mission trip’ might look a lot less adventurous – it might mean taking a hot dish to a neighbor/family member who could use some encouragement or being a behind the scene helper.

When I was preparing to retire, I started talking to God about what to do with this next ‘phase’ of my life. I knew I wanted to travel with my little dog. I wanted to explore parts of the US that I had never seen and to hike trails that I’ve only read about. BUT I also wanted to make sure that I was using the skills I had acquired and the gifts I have been given. So, I wanted to make sure that my travels were with a purpose. i.e. mission trips. God had plans for me that I could not even imagine.

 I was not planning on leaving the US but when an opportunity presented itself to travel to Poland (had to leave my dog at home on this one) to help with a European Leadership Forum as a volunteer helper, I signed up. This is a different kind of mission trip than what I was used to in the past. No building, no running day camps for children, no women’s meetings to run. This was about being a behind the scenes person helping in whatever way was needed to support the Forum mission: The European Leadership Forum seeks to serve and equip national Christian leaders to renew the biblical church and re-evangelise Europe. It was awesome!!!!

As a result, I have signed up with a group from Scottsdale AZ that are coordinating another trip in September to Wales to support their effort to conduct a similar leadership event. But this is not all that I am being blessed to do to serve God. He has provided connections with RJC (Reaching Japanese for Christ) so that I may serve at a one-day conference in Chicago with whatever support they need.

Mission trips mean many things to different people so don’t put it in a box but let God help you be creative in what your ‘mission trips’ look like.

G
 

No comments:

Post a Comment